2014/07/11

1969/07/11: Neil Armstrong alla base della scaletta del simulacro del LM (foto KSC-69P-578, KSC-69P-579)

KSC-69P-578. Armstrong at the foot of the mockup LM's ladder.




KSC-69P-579. The NASA caption to this picture reads: “Apollo-11 commander Neil A. Armstrong descends the ladder of the Lunar Module Training Vehicle during practice for his upcoming lunar landing mission.” In response to an August 2003 e-mail, Neil wrote, “I really don't have the foggiest idea of what I was doing. I don't think it had anything to do with simulation. If I were simulating a mission phase, I would have the helmet on and suit pressurized. On the other hand, if it was only 5 days before flight, I would not be wearing the suit unless it was for a purpose.” 11 July 1969. Scan by Ed Hengeveld.

Source: Apollo Image Library.